As the only membership body that inclusively champions global sustainable development in Scotland, we have an important role to play in terms of policy and influencing.
We make connections between our members and decision-makers, creating ways for members to connect directly with decision-makers in Scotland and beyond. We believe we have a responsibility to our members to work with governments, helping to inform their policy decisions, to support and promote them, and when appropriate, to challenge them. Our activities include:
- Organising quarterly meetings with the Scottish Government and the Scottish Minister for International Development.
- Providing the secretariat for the Cross Party Group (CPG) on International Development at Holyrood
- Convening meetings for our members with political party spokespersons across the political spectrum.
- Maintaining important relationships with the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, the International Development Committee at the House of Commons, MPs and shadow spokespersons on International Development from different political parties.
- Inclusively championing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Scotland, the UK and internationally and working with the Scottish Government to enhance policy coherence for sustainable development (PCSD).
- Convening the SIDA Policy Committee, a sub-group of our Board of Trustees, which drives our work on behalf of our membership. Agendas and minutes of all meetings are published on the SIDA Member Hub. The group is flexible and open, so input to future agendas is welcomed by all members. Get in touch if you wish to get involved or would like more information.
- Facilitating collaborative responses to relevant Scottish and UK government consultations and provide briefings for relevant debates in the Scottish Parliament.
Stepping up to the SDGs
At this key moment, halfway to the 2030 target for implementing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), ‘Stepping up to the SDGs’ reassesses how SIDA members are implementing the SDG Agenda.Read more
Measuring Scotland’s Global Impact in the National Performance Framework
The National Performance Framework (NPF) is a framework for Scotland to enable decision-making to support national wellbeing. The Framework measures progress against National Outcomes, using a range of economic, social and environmental indicators. The National Outcomes are due to be reviewed this year and, as such, SIDA has taken the opportunity to commission some research into how they could better measure Scotland’s global impact.Read more
Scotland & global sustainable development: time to chart a new path?
This paper makes the case for a new Scottish Government (SG) ‘Global Solidarity Strategy’ that would replace the 2016 International Development Strategy. A new strategy of this kind would sit alongside the new Global Affairs Framework and would set out clearly what it seeks to achieve, why, and how.Read more
Towards a Wellbeing and Sustainable Development Bill
A report providing detailed recommendations for new, world-leading legislation that puts joined-up policymaking, linking global and domestic priorities, alongside human and environmental wellbeing, at the forefront of decision-making.Read more
Draft Discussion Paper: Scottish Government International Development Programming – a new way forward for global solidarity?
Draft discussion paper for consultation with members and partners regarding Scottish Government International Development Programming.Read more
Policy Coherence for Sustainable Development
This page summarises the concept of policy coherence and links to our main our main body of work on this issue – an open and editable Wiki.Read more
2021-2026 Policy Priorities for Scotland
This is our flagship report outlining policy priorities for political parties to include in their 2021 Scottish Election manifestos. It covers five key areas important to our members and will remain a key policy document for us throughout the 2021-2026 parliamentary session.Read more
SIDA Policy Committee
This page summarises details and membership of the SIDA Policy Committee which meets regularly to share policy and advocacy priorities, find ways to collaborate and steer the Alliance’s policy work.Read more
Consultation submissions, policy briefings & letters to decision-makers
An archive of written policy work undertaken by the Alliance, including letters to decision-makers, consultation responses, and briefings.Read more
Policy Coherence for Development: Exploring and Learning from European PCD Approaches
This report compares different policy coherence for development (PCD) approaches across six different countries in Europe.Read more
Scotland’s Place in Building a Just World
A detailed report examining recommendations on how to implement policy coherence for development.Read more
Cross Party Group for International Development May 2023
Financing the Future. The latest CPG meeting discussed the role for Scotland in both operationalising our own commitments to climate justice; and calling for more action in the UK and globally. Read the speakers presentations here.Read more